20 April 2015

Almost done!

Three more illustrations done for Teen Meetup in the Burb, my teen summer reading program.

The first is a do-over of the Open Mic Night idea--Anarda and others fixated on the possible gender of the hand holding the microphone that I sketched last week, so I took humans out of the equation and did this instead:


She requested something a bit more mysterious and evocative, so I hope this fills the order!

We are doing two writing workshops this summer--one is a "make a mystery" workshop, on the elements of a good mystery and how to put them together, with teacher (and author) Gay Toltl Kinman. For that, I got our young library assistant, Kristen, to pose for me with a magnifying glass like a hip, female Sherlock!


The second workshop will be short forms: Flash Fiction, which is the art of the extremely brief story (300 words or fewer); and Six Word Memoirs, which Smith Magazine editors Larry Smith and Rachel Fershleiser turned into a "thing" a few years ago when they challenged people to write some and got such an overwhelming response that now they have published two or three books of them! I couldn't think of an image evocative of either of those, so I turned to creative lettering instead:



Just one more illustration to go. I was hoping to get all four done this weekend, but not quite. I think, however, that since all my crafty materials are at work, I will set aside some time tomorrow, assemble an interesting and eclectic tableau of tools and supplies in the Literacy conference room where I will not be disturbed, and do the final drawing for our "Makerspace" craft day there. Then I can watercolor it when I get home!

I'm excited to see the brochure with all the illustrations finally in place, and all the flyers too. This has been a fun project, although it has taken more time and effort than I expected when I first started. But it definitely keeps the "day job" interesting!


5 comments:

  1. Love these illustrations Melliott! Looks like you have some good programs planned for the teens this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! Although I have had one librarian ask me, "What if you're not creative and don't like drawing, writing, or doing crafts?" Hopefully those people DO like reading, and will come to Book Cafe.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes mysterious and evocative is certainly there, great work!

    ReplyDelete