19 August 2013

Quick and juicy

I arrived home at 7:05 tonight, and decided I would try to knock out a cookbook illustration before it got dark on my patio. Here it is. Simple, quick, just a few colors. But I think it evokes what it's supposed to. To go with my friend Anarda's Watermelon Gazpacho recipe. Which sounds dreadful to me, but she assures me it is choice. For those who are curious, recipe below. Disclaimer: I have not tried it! Personally, I'd rather just pick up that slice and chow down.




Watermelon Gazpacho

1 small seedless watermelon, cubed
1 package of small seedless persian cucumbers, chopped
2 packs of Kumato tomatoes (approx. 10), chopped (you can find them at Trader Joe's)

Blend each ingredient with a little salt, olive oil and balsamic vinegar (not too acidic) in a food processor until almost smooth. Please, no lumps of cucumbers or watermelon! Aim for the consistency of salsa. Pour together into a large container. Add more salt, balsamic vinegar and olive oil or specialty oil (almond oil, avocado oil, etc.) to taste.

When served, you can add chopped avocado, radish, onions, chopped nuts, etc., if you want.

5 comments:

  1. Love all of your illustrations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! And that's all I have to say to both the sketch and the recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me hungry for a bite :D Wonderfully drawn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I like about this is that you can practically see the reflection of light off of the melon and the texture of the fruit inside. Also like the lines on the outside of the melon. Nice!

    ReplyDelete