24 July 2011

Reflections

I have had a painting in the back of my mind for quite awhile now that includes a mirror with an image in it. I don't know how to achieve the feeling of a mirror--it's shiny, it's metallic in a sense, and yet it's not about that, it's about the image reflected there. I decided to try a few preliminary quick paintings, and this is the first. The thing is, the only thing that really lets you know this is a mirror image is that the outer form is discernibly a mirror, and the interior it shows differs from its background. So is that the secret? It can't quite be--the image is flat and doesn't have that sparkle quality to it, and also, what if you're painting a mirror (as I will be for my final piece) that could equally as well be an elaborate picture frame?--but I don't know how else to convey it. It's frustrating. Any advice from anybody out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment